Please submit completed Employee Packet to Reception Desk located at 820 Highway 478, Anthony NM 88021. Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Police Sergeant
Job Posting Closes July 20, 2021 at 4:00pm
Candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent; must have a valid driver’s license with clean driving record and no felony convictions. Must pass a thorough background check and drug screen. Must possess and maintain a New Mexico law enforcement certification and must have five (5) years full time non-probationary continuous experience in law enforcement. Candidate must also have a minimum of two years supervisory experience in law enforcement. Performs field supervision of assigned personnel, maintains good personal relations, safety practices, resolves day-to-day operational problems and questions arising from personnel and public and enforces law enforcement administrative policies and procedures.
Is a lead worker and provides supervisory duties in the absence of the Lieutenant or Chief of Police; Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Field supervision duties of assigned personnel may include; conducts shift briefings reviews and approves reports, performs uniform inspections, generates daily roster and daily shift notes, observes and coaches officer(s) field performance of duties, completes first report of injury for work-related accidents; generates draft performance evaluations and fact finds for investigations as assigned.
- Will be responsible for providing patrol, traffic, investigations, crime prevention, dispatch, records, community relations, training, and/or related services and activities.
- Acts as a watch commander as assigned and ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures.
- Answer calls for service and complaints and performs all functions of an officer as necessary such as automobile crashes, domestic disputes, robberies, assaults, and other felonies and misdemeanors.
- Patrol designated area in a radio equipped unit, bicycle, and/or on foot to preserve law and order; enforces traffic and other laws and ordinance; assumes control at traffic accidents to maintain traffic flow, assists accident victims, and investigates cause of accidents; apprehends suspects; searches, inspects, transports, and takes custody of prisoners; advises subjects of their rights.
- Secures the crimes scene; conducts preliminary investigations, identifies and instructs witnesses, gathers information, and prepares detailed reports; investigates suspicious conditions; conducts primary investigations of attempted or committed crimes; prepares investigative reports; prepares misdemeanor and felony cases for proper action; interviews witnesses; appears in court to present evidence, prosecute and testify on behalf of the city or state; maintains professional demeanor in the courtroom; ensures that evidence is properly secured, stored and readily retrievable.
- Identifies community problems that can be resolved through proactive measures; attends neighborhood block parties and meetings to enhance community-policing efforts.
- Serves as a Field Training Officer or supervisor for new hires, instructs training classes for department personnel; prepares and submits daily activities and other written reports to superior officers.
- Reports all observed or reported policy violations, complaints received and other significant matters and/or events relating to functions of the Division up through chain of command.
- Under the direction of the Lieutenant and Chief of Police and assists as requested.
- Performs the duties of an officer or investigator as necessary.
Responsible for knowing and abiding by all department and City policies and procedures and performs all other duties as designated by the assigned supervisor. Must be willing to work 12-hour shifts and overtime:
- Education. High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Experience. Two (2) years continuous experience is certified law enforcement.
- Education/Experience substitution. None
- Licenses/Certifications. Valid N.M driver’s license and New Mexico Law Enforcement Certification.
- Other (e.g., post-offer medical exam, polygraph, background check, driver’s license record, etc.)
Modern principals, methods and procedures of law enforcement administration used in the technical aspects of law enforcement, including accident and criminal investigation and identification, crime prevention, law enforcement tactics, traffic control, and community-based policing; criminal law and criminal procedures involving the apprehension, arrest and custody of persons allegedly committing misdemeanors and felonies; rules and regulations of the City of Anthony NM, Police Department; analyze complex law enforcement problems and situations; adopting quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; city geography and community attitudes in different areas of the city; latest court interpretations of the legal obligations of law enforcement agencies; and first aid principles, practices, and techniques for both the ill and injured
The work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion, such as frequent climbing; lifting objects over 50 pounds; crouching or crawling in restricted area; and defending one or others against attack.
The work environment involves high risks exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress that requires a range of safety and other precautions.